- Canadian researchers have created new software which determines the accuracy of computer predictions of genetic variation within tumour samples. (more)
- SpaceX in the USA launched its third batch of 60 Starlink satellites into space, in an effort to build a 12,000-strong or even more satellite network. (more)
- For only the second time, Italian astronomers have detected gravitational waves that were created by the violent merger of two neutron stars. (more)
- Palau became the first country to ban sun cream that is harmful to corals and sea life. (more)
- Senegalese footballer Sadio Mane was crowned as African Player of the Year at the CAF Awards 2019. (more)
- New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern was named Pacific person of the year by Islands Business magazine. (more)
- South Korean film Parasite took home the award for Best Foreign Language Film at the 77th Golden Globe Awards. (more)
- Australian researchers have developed the world’s most efficient lithium-sulphur battery, capable of powering a smartphone for five continuous days. (more)
- Greece, Cyprus and Israel signed a deal to build a 1,900 km (1,180 mile) undersea pipeline, EastMed. (more)
- Bangladeshi finance minister Mustafa Kamal was named the Finance Minister of the Year by the international financial affairs publication The Banker. (more)
|D+ Editors' Picks
France is the New World’s Most Positive Country for 2019
France was crowned as the World’s Most Positive Country for the first time ever in 2019, according to the annual global index published by Daily Positive (D+).
- France topped the list of most positive countries for the first time ever.
- The USA jumped back into the list in 2019 after missing out last year.
- Canada moved down to the sixth position from the top of the list within a year.
- Ethiopia, South Korea, Denmark, Costa Rica and Argentina are the regional winners.
- Global citizens continued to have positive projection for the world, for the second consecutive year.
- Australia, China and Germany are the only three countries that made it to all the previous lists of most positive countries. (More)